I’ve been re-evaluating Poor Old Lu’s The Waiting Room this week. It’s not one of those records I was into 15 years ago and was just curious as to how well it stands up today. Katy got it to review (I think?) just before we got married, but I was never into it.
Poor Old Lu was a Christian band in the nineties, and its members have continued to play important roles in the music industry. It reunited to record The Waiting Room (and play some tour dates, if I remember correctly) in 2003. It then broke up again.
I wasn’t really a fan of the band until its two mind-blowing releases: the Straight Six EP in 1995 and (its dark and final album) A Picture of the Eighth Wonder in 1996. This comeback record just didn’t do it for me in 2003, but I wonder if my expectations were to blame? I kinda like The Waiting Room now.
Alright, so my rotation this week, in no particular order.
8. Olivier Messiaen’s L’Ascension – Polish Radio Orchestra (Naxos/2000)
7. Music From Big Pink – The Band (Capital/1968)
6. Imperial Bedroom – Elvis Costello (Columbia/1982)
5. “You Lost the Starlight in Your Eyes” – Hammock (independent/2010)
4. Early Music – Kronos Quartet (Nonesuch/1997)
3. Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Harold Arlen Songbook – Ella Fitzgerald (Verve/1961)
2. The Waiting Room – Poor Old Lu (Tooth and Nail/2003)
1. Old Angel – Lost Dogs (Lo-Fidelity/2010)