Here’s a list of things, in no particular order, in my listening rotation this month. (You’ll notice the fair amount of 2010 releases, as I’ve been considering my top ten list of albums from last year.)
- Texas Fever – Orange Juice (Polydor/1984)
- Love And its Opposite – Tracey Thorn (Merge/2010)
- Losing Sleep – Edwyn Collins (Heavenly/2010)
- “The Cord Unwinds” (digital single) – Transmit Pulse (Scatterplot Sounds/2011)
- The Lady Killer – Cee-Lo Green (Elektra/2010)
- The ArchAndroid – Janelle Monáe (Bad Boy/2010)
- Spilling Over Every Side – Pretty Lights (Pretty Lights Music/2010)
- Beach Fossils – Beach Fossils (Captured Tracks/2010)
- Sounds of the Universe – Depeche Mode (EMI/2009)
- “Paradox Messenger” (digital single) – Transmit Pulse (Scatterplot Sounds/2011)
Texas Fever was my first and maybe still favorite OJ record.
I discovered Orange Juice on a tape my friend, Joel, gave me in college. One side contained selections from The Go-Betweens’ Before Hollywood and the other, selections from Orange Juice’s You Can’t Fall In Love Forever. I’ve been scouring record bins ever after for those bands. It was pretty much the best tape ever.
And of course Losing Sleep is my latest and new favorite EC record. Good stuff!
Yes! It may be his best work since Orange Juice!