After much lollygagging and fence-riding, I’ve decided to come forth with my list of favorite albums from 2010. To be honest, some of this could be blamed on copious rewrites of the mini-reviews for each album in the list. This task just got too overwhelming. (How does Chris Short do it?!!) So I decided to just go with a list, no annotation.
My criteria for this list was simple; I chose my favorites from last year. These were the albums I listened to in their entirety most frequently. There are no reissues, 45s or EPs, as I placed those in an addendum with honorable mentions. So here are my fifteen favorite albums from 2010, in no particular order.
- Swim – Caribou (Merge)
- Transit, Transit – Autolux (TBD)
- The Changing of the Guard – Starflyer 59 (Tooth and Nail)
- Cave Syndrome – Transient Songs (Indian Casino)
- The Courage of Others – Midlake (Bella Union)
- Who We Touch – Charlatans (Cooking Vinyl)
- Clinging to a Scheme – The Radio Dept. (Labrador)
- The Lady Killer – Cee-Lo Green (Elektra)
- Losing Sleep – Edwyn Collins (Heavenly)
- Intriguer – Crowded House (Fantasy)
- Each Other All the Time – Cowboy Indian Bear (The Record Machine)
- Cosmogramma – Flying Lotus (Warp)
- Beach Fossils – Beach Fossils (Captured Tracks)
- My Room in the Trees – The Innocence Mission (Badman)
- Into the Great Wide Wonder – Trentemøller (In My Room)
- Other People’s Songs – Damien Jurado and Richard Swift
- The Long Play – Sam Phillips
- 2010 Recordings – Monahans
- Aias 7” – Aias (Captured Tracks)
- Coals to Newcastle – Orange Juice (Domino)
- Say No to Love 7” – The Pains of Being Pure at Heart (Slumberland)
- Mechanism Design 10” – Kingdom of God Mathematics (Scatterplot Sounds)
Brothers & St Bartlett didn’t make the list..just sayin.
St. Bartlett was really close. (At least it made it onto the paper on which I did my brainstorming.) Jurado just recorded his new record with Swift, too. I can’t wait.