Finishing the field experience for my master’s degree in school leadership had me pretty stressed out two years ago. So Neil Halstead’s mellow show during spring break at the Jackpot Saloon in Lawrence came at precisely the right time. (Although the timing meant all the college kids had fled for the week and only a handful attended, the quiet atmosphere fit my mood and the show. Halstead didn’t come to rock, but to sooth us with melodies.)
This week, I focus on Halstead’s work. As could be expected, a 25-minute podcast cannot cover everything an artist creates in 20 years, but I hope you get a glimpse of his genius. He doesn’t bludgeon the listener with his cool artsyness, instead he relies on melody, songcraft to convince. Enjoy.
- “Brigther” – Slowdive (Just For a Day | Creation | 1991)
- “Alison” – Slowdive (Souvlaki | Creation | 1993)
- “Who Do You Love” – Mojave 3 (Out of Tune | 4AD | 1998)
- “Seasons” – Neil Halstead (Sleeping on Roads | 4AD | 2002)
- “Kill the Lights” – Mojave 3 (Puzzles Like You | 4AD | 2006)
- “No Mercy for the Muse” – Neil Halstead (Oh! Mighty Engine | Brushfire | 2008)