Summer school starts next week, and I’m teaching seventh and eighth grade math. I anticipate it’ll be a busy June.
With this week off between the end of the school year and the beginning of summer school, I’ve watched my son and listened to a ton of music. Fueled by our purchase of tickets to see Guided By Voices in September, making a mix CD of Pollard-related tunes and a friend finding a lot of 36 Guided By Voices-related CD’s for $60 on the internet, much of this listening has been to Guided By Voices, Robert Pollard and Boston Spaceships. I’m kind of a nerd, but Pollard can deliver a killer pop hook when he wants to. He’s also quite the wordsmith, when he puts his mind to it.
Anyway, I know you want the goods, so here goes.
- “Something to Say” – The Action (Rolled Gold | Parasol | 2002)
- “Brain” – The Action (Rolled Gold | Parasol | 2002)
- “Somebody Made for Me” – Emitt Rhodes (Emitt Rhodes | Dunhill | 1970)
- “Echos Myron” – Guided By Voices (Bee Thousand | Scat | 1994)
- “The Unsinkable Fats Domino” – Guided By Voices (Let’s Go Eat the Factory | Guided By Voices Inc. | 2012)
- “Wild” – Beach House (Bloom | Sub Pop | 2012)
Though one of their best known, Game of Pricks is one of my favorite tracks of theirs.
Awesome! Love to meet a fellow Pollard fan!
Actually, just read some of your recent tweets. You NEED to attempt Alpha Omega. I did it and it was awesome. Here’s the link to all of the posts I wrote about it http://girlabouttowndayton.com/?s=alpha+omega
I’d love to take the challenge, but I don’t quite have all his stuff. I’m not quite that nerdy 😉
I looked at your blog and saw pictures from the Wake Up Mordecai show. What a fun band! My wife and I know the guy who runs Poptek and love most of his releases. We should hang out the next time we’re in Dayton (in July) and go to Omega or something.