The Threes, The Vinagaroons and Making Movies are playing this week at the Benetti’s Fall Classic. It will be a fun mix of loud indie, hippie art and Latin-tinged rock bands.
This week, I have chosen to introduce the listeners of Radio Free Raytown to John Zorn. Much of his work is so perfect for autumn: moody, expressive and expansive. Even his forays into exotica, that may seem better-suited for summer tiki-themed parties, feel like falling leaves.
I feel so much in common with Zorn. He plays alto sax and composes (as do I). He makes the music that’s in my head. In fact, I sometimes wonder if I need to try any more. He’s done it all. He’s listened to lots of the same music as me and lets it all influence his work: Bad Brains, The Ventures, Shostakovich, The Modern Klezmer Quartet and Bugs Bunny cartoons. When I listen to Zorn, I feel as if I’m looking in the mirror.
- “Galaxy in Janaki” – Flying Lotus (Cosmogramma/Warp/2010)
- “Chorek” – John Zorn (Masada Rock/Tzadik/2005)
- “Kanah” – John Zorn (Masada Recital, Volume 4/Tzadik/2004)
- “Osaka Bondage” – Naked City (Torture Garden/Shimmy Disc/1990)
- “And When We Awoke” – Doug Burr (O Ye Devestator/Velvet Blue Music & Spune/2010)
- “La Marcha” – Making Movies (In Deo Seperamus/independent/2010)
Radio Free Raytown – Episode #58 (10/8/10)
I talked about the Making Movies video for “La Marcha,” so check it out: