The thing I hate (and that some of my friends love) about best-of lists is the sheer act of making a definitive statement. No matter how much time I sink into them, I inevitably return to my lists and realize an omission. This was again the case with my Fifteen Favorites of 2011 list that I posted only two days ago. Only a few hours after posting it, I realized I had left Real Estate’s new album off the list. So take my lists (and especially the albums’ rankings) with a grain of salt.
At any rate, a friend suggested I take some episodes to play a song from each album in that list. I don’t know I can remain focused enough for more than one show, but I’ll give him at least this one. I tried to pick songs you may not have a chance to hear (like with the Robert Deeble and Motel Beds tracks) and deep album cuts I don’t want you to miss (as in the case of Wire, The Decemberists and The Joy Formidable).
- “Hopeless” – Motel Beds (Tango Boys | No More Fake Labels | 2011)
- “Nightcrawlers” – Widowspeak (Widowspeak | Captured Tracks | 2011)
- “A Flat Ten” – Wire (Red Barked Tree | PinkFlag | 2011)
- “Heart Like Feathers” – Robert Deeble (Heart Like Feathers | independent | 2011)
- “Chapter 2” – The Joy Formidable (The Big Roar | Atlantic | 2011)
- “This is Why We Fight” – The Decemberists (The King is Dead | Capitol | 2011)